We have spent some time with the personal trainers at ESPA Life at Corinthia London who have compiled some tips on the best exercises to get you looking gorgeous according to type of dress that you have chosen.
Our newly-installed Technogym at ESPA Life features the latest leading-edge fitness equipment. The gym is luxurious and discreet which makes it ideal for brides to- be to work out
The Low Back Dress Workout
They key here is to focus on the lower and upper areas of your back to get it looking toned and strong:
- Single Arm Rows: Start off by working your right arm. Hold a dumbbell in your right arm, bend your left knee and rest it on a bench with your left arm on the bench to support you. Pull the dumbbell up and back until you feel a contraction in your upper back. Repeat 12-15 times and change side
- Pull Ups– these are the ultimate back sculptors. Start off by wrapping (chocking) a resistance band around the pull up bar, pull the end of the band down and place the sole of your foot on the band. Hold the bar with your hands and pull up. This is a great way of getting into pull-ups. As you become more advanced, start to limit the amount you do with a resistance band and go at it alone.
The No-Sleeve Dress Workout
Try some of the below exercises to sculpt long, lean arms that will look incredible in your gorgeous dress:
- Tricep Dips: It is important to work on all the arm muscles to achieve the desired look that you are going for. Tricep dips are a wonderful way of strengthening the back of your arm and creating that upper arm definition. What is great about this exercise is that you use your own body weight. Place your hands at the edge of a bench (one hand on each side of your hips), make sure that your arms are not bent. Slowly start to lower your arms and dip down so that you touch the floor. Repeat until failure.
- Bicep Curls: This exercise works the front of your arm. You can do it either sitting on a bench or standing. Hold one dumbbell in each arm palm facing forward and arm loose to your side, exhale and slowly bend your elbow and contract your biceps to draw the weight upward.
The Short Skirt Dress Workout
You may be wearing a long wedding dress and changing into a shorter going away dress, or you have opted for a non-traditional dress which shows off your legs slightly, then these exercises will ensure that your legs are in tip top condition.
- Walking Lunges: This exercise is simple yet very effective as it works your glutes, hamstrings and quads. Stand upright with your feet together, holding a dumbbell in each hand. Take a step forward with your right leg lowering your hips toward the floor by bending both knees to a 90-degree angle. The back knee should just hover above the ground but not touch. Push off with your left foot to bring your left foot forward and lunge on the other side.
- Squats: Squatting also works your quads and glutes. It is important to get your form right. Start off weight free, position your feet hip width apart and slowly lower yourself down to the floor. Make sure to push your glutes back and not to arch your back. Your knees should not move over your toes. Once you have mastered the technique, start to incorporate some heavier weights.
These are some of our favourite exercises that will help show off your best assets! However, training and fitness should be fun and stress free, so feel free to mix it up too. Incorporate Yoga or Pilates to aid in stretching and to keep you feeling balanced and calm.
With love from Corinthia London,