Once the dress has been hung in the wardrobe, the marquee dismantled and the thank you letters (almost) underway, it’s time to pack the passport and head for sunnier climes!
And where better to go than the balmy Mediterranean archipelago of Malta? With white sands, crystal clear waters and blazing sunshine for at least twelve hours a day in summer it is the perfect destination to get a golden tan and settle into the blissful married state you’ve been planning for so long.
A popular, yet exclusive holiday destination, the main island seamlessly morphs from day to night and as the shops close in Valletta and Sliema, the bars, restaurants and theatres start to hum! Later on, the crowds move on to the many night clubs, most of which are clustered around Paceville.
If you wish to keep away from the crowds Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay can give you all the peace and quiet newlyweds could desire. It has everything that you need for a heavenly honeymoon and booking the Love Suite Love package can get you all sorts of extra goodies! Relax after your flight with a candlelit massage for both of you – followed by Champagne and strawberries – and feast on a three course dinner on a private yacht, bang in the middle of Malta’s magnificent Grand Harbour. Talk about romantic, what about taking a picnic basket down to the beach one day, and when you leave enjoy a late check-out until 3pm.
There are oodles of activities to get your teeth into if lounging by the pool isn’t your scene – here are a few that we thought stood out:
- The waterfronts at Valletta and Vittoriosa are popular for their regular night cruises, while roulette, baccarat, blackjack and boule can be played at casinos such as the Dragonara, St Julian’s or the Casino de Venezia in Vittoriosa.
- There are numerous cinemas showing the latest releases of English and American films, whilst the theatres offer drama and dance, as well as opera and pop concerts.
- Jet off on a seaplane with scenic tours of the island whilst various companies offer white-knuckle off-road jeep safaris.
- Professional dive centres will take you on trips to wrecks and caves, with crystal-clear waters making night dives a unique attraction.
- In Malta, discovering eight thousand years of history is easier than you think; just a short drive from one era to the next. The Neolithic sites are awe-inspiring glimpses into the earliest civilizations and while the subterranean Hypogeum is a UNSECO World Heritage Site in its own right, visits need to be booked in advance.
That said, a honeymoon is meant for pampering, and what better way to treat yourselves than with some truly luxurious time in the spa. The Apollo Spa of Corinthia St George’s Bay is offering couples spa experiences both indoors and out, and couple’s massages are offered under the canopy by the pool… Sigh.
Have we convinced you? Because we’re already booking our flights, husband or not…
With love from Corinthia London,